Guiness World Record holder
American Soccer Player
Dr Les Aria
Author and Speech Pathologist
Medical Doctor and YouTuber
Wim Hof Method Teacher
Photo Credit: Jim Callaghan
Freediver and Conservationist
Jazz and Percussion Artist
About this class
To celebrate World Breathing Day, The Global Classroom, in collaboration with James Nestor, bestselling author, is thrilled to present our seventh classroom – Deep Breath. Featuring an inspirational array of guest speakers, Deep Breath will address the importance of breathing and serenity to live a happy, healthy life in our ever-changing world.
We are thrilled to be welcoming James Nestor into the Global Classroom again – this time as co-host. James is a New York Times bestselling author, and you may recognise him from the various television shows he has taken part in. His most recent book, ‘Breath: The New Science of a Lost Art’, is all about breathing, so we can’t wait to hear his insights in this classroom.
During the live session, our global students will have the opportunity to ask our panel of world-renowned speakers questions.
Led by Scarisbrick Hall School, Deep Breath will illustrate how breathing properly can have a positive benefit for our overall health and well being. This classroom will explain to children how using these valuable breathing techniques can benefit their health.
Our session will look at four major areas of breathing:
- How using a breathing technique can improve your sleep
- How to breathe for focus (before a test, doing homework, in class)
- How to breathe to improve your exercise
- How to breathe throughout the day
This class will emphasise that changing our breathing techniques can benefit us all, and can be adapted to different situations. From exercising and health habits to managing anxiety and concentration, Deep Breath will show children different ways to implement effective breathing in their day-to-day lives.
Once again pupils will have the chance to experience invaluable discussions between our guest speakers, and share their questions on the topic of breathing. The highlight of this classroom will undoubtedly be the prominent world figures who are attending as guest speakers.
Our Deep Breath guest panel features a selection of musically talented speakers. The Global Classroom is delighted to welcome BMG artist Jason Mraz. Jason is a double Grammy award-winning singer-songwriter perhaps best-known for his hit single “I’m Yours”, but he also has a passion for sustainable farming and organic living.
We will also be joined by American violinist, Lindsey Stirling. Having scooped several YouTube Music Awards and Billboard Music Awards, Lindsey is no stranger to success. She’s incredibly passionate about the importance of mental health, and the impact that your mental wellbeing has on overall success and happiness.
Deep Breath will also be welcoming:
- Wim Hof: Known as The Iceman, Wim Hof is an extreme athlete and a Guiness World Record holder who is known for his incredible ability to withstand freezing temperatures.
- Will John: American Soccer Player who boasts over 600,000 subscribers on his YouTube channel
- Dr Les Aria: Working in California, Dr Aria is a pain psychologist. He works to improve people’s physical pain through mindfulness when other treatments have failed.
- Sharon Moore: A woman of many talents, Sharon is an author, speaker, sleep health advocate and speech pathologist. Sharon explores the relationship between sleep and breathing, especially in children.
- Dr SMiT: Based in India, Dr Smit is a Doctor and a YouTuber who focuses on promoting holistic health. His videos explore the relationship between a healthy body and a healthy mind
- Chuck McGee: Chuck McGee is the first American to work in partnership with Wim Hof. Chuck has taught the Wim Hof method in Poland, leading winter expeditions and swimming in frozen lakes.
- Evelyn Glennie: Evelyn Glennie is a world renowned percussionist from Scotland. She tours the world, sharing her musical talents, and also performed in the 2012 Olympics Opening ceremony. Alongside her concerts, Evelyn also hosts educational events and works as a motivational speaker.
- Hanli Prinsloo: Born in South Africa, Hanli is a freediver, speaker, writer and conservationist who is passionate about protecting our oceans using our own human experiences.
- Victor Mendoza: Originating from Mexico, Victor is a leading international artist specialising in Latin jazz and world percussion. Victor has performed and taught across the world, and has earned a variety of musical awards.
- Baylee Ritter: As a National Geographic Young Explorer, Baylee works to empower young people to enable change across the globe. She is also the co-founder of Operation Endangered Species, a collaboration between the Illinois Department of Natural Resources and 18 high schools across Illinois.
From musicians to doctors, Deep Breath will have a role model for every child.
Each speaker will be sharing their own personal stories, and discussing how managing their breathing has helped within their working environment to become successful.
During their discussions, our guest speakers will also be highlighting that the happiness and mental wellbeing of our children is just as important as their education. Whilst academic focus and success are important, it’s crucial that children develop healthy habits which contribute to overall well being.
If you’re looking to improve your own breathing habits, you can also join our 30 Day Breath Challenge in collaboration with PACTIVE. Join likeminded people to implement deep breathing into your daily routine for 30 days.
We can’t wait for you to join us on Sunday 11th April 2021, 16:30BST for Deep Breath!